Thursday, December 27, 2007

Challenge - Reclaiming My Space


How many times have I complained about not having much storage, especially in my kitchen? Yesterday I called a new cleaning service and the owner said she'd have to come give me an estimate for the initial deep cleaning. Getting ready for her visit (afraid she'd turn around and walk out, saying she couldn't help me - yes it's that bad) I was frantically throwing stuff anywhere it would fit. This exercise made me realize that I REALLY DO have cabinet space. I just have SO much stuff that I never use. That I can't find. I recently found a waffle iron that we no doubt received as a wedding gift over 21 years ago. I've been making blueberry waffles pretty regularly since then and it's made me feel pretty good about using it. It stands upright and doesn't take up much space. My son even requested them on Christmas morning - maybe the start of a nice tradition.

I digress. As the photo shows, I have at least one cabinet that is a jumbled mess. It goes way back under the counter. I could store the food processor I use once a year at Thanksgiving for cranberry-orange relish here, instead of with the pots and pans that I use semi-regularly. There's lots I could store here - things I'd actually use if I could find them. Today's project is to clean out this cabinet. I'm going to have to completely empty it and start from scratch. If I throw away all the mismatched, stained and warped plastic containers, I'll have a good start. In order to accomplish this, I'm doing two things. The first thing is this blog post (I hope to do a new one tonight with a picture of an organized cabinet. The second thing is that I'm going to leave the cabinet open until I tackle it. Let's see if this strategy works.

Please leave comments if you have any tips or tricks for projects like this - I'd love to share them. Hopefully, when I go to bed tonight I'll have a head start on my new year's resolution of organizing and I'll feel better about my smallish kitchen. Hope your recovery from the holiday is going well.

No comments: