Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Out with the old...




At the risk of sounding like a Scrooge, I'm so relieved Christmas is over. I'm ready to pack up the Christmas decorations and let things return to normal. Of course, this week will be hectic (as far as traffic and shopping) with all the after-Christmas sales. I know people who get up at 4 in the morning, go out for breakfast and hit the sales early. Wait, that might be the day after Thanksgiving. A friend from church works at Target, and she said there were three arrests for disorderly conduct in her store. People can get desperate this time of year! Can you imagine that family tradition? "Your mommy's in jail but she got you the last Webkin!"

As the pictures show, I'm rushing the next holiday - Valentine's day! I took down our Christmas wreath this morning and replaced it with the pretty heart wreath I found on Christmas eve. I prefer to think of it as a symbol of love in general as opposed to a seasonal, holiday emblem. I'll try to keep love in my heart as I deal with the fallout of Christmas - returning unwanted gifts, navigating crazy east Memphis traffic, dragging the Christmas tree into the attic, and more. Thanks to our new pre-lit tree, at least I won't have Christmas lights to contend with.

Speaking of artificial trees, my son and I were discussing whether it's more "green" (environmentally friendly) to have an artificial tree as opposed to a real tree. I think because we use ours for 15 years minimum, the artificial tree is the way to go. I'd love to hear comments on this. We are trying to be more green, or at least think about it some. Of course, part of the fallout from Christmas I didn't mention is the major garbage that is produced from all the packing and wrapping. Our garbage pickup is on schedule (Thursday) this week, thank goodness.

Well, I'd better get busy packing up the decorations. More later.

No comments: