Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Food, Glorious Food



Since I'm trying to watch carbs, I'm obsessing about my favorite subject, food. Big news is that Pei Wei is opening at Mendenhall and Sanderlin next Monday! I love Pei Wei. The Mandarin Kung Pao Shrimp is my very favorite. It's pretty spicy and the shrimp are kind of crispy - yum. My teenage boy likes their shrimp fried rice. It's made with brown and white rice and has plenty of veggies, but not too much. It's so much lighter than typical Chinese fare in Memphis.

Speaking of teenage tastes, I have to share my son's very favorite food made at home. In an effort to duplicate Memphis Pizza Cafe's great pizza, I bought the pre-made crust (Mama Mary's or Boboli's) and used Meza Tuscan Bruschetta as a base. I've only seen this at Sam's - let me know if you've seen it elsewhere. I haven't tried it yet, but I think Rotel Italian style tomatoes would be similar. You could probably doctor up some canned diced tomatoes with garlic and parsley and basil. This seems to make it different and fresher tasting than regular old pizza sauce. My son likes goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes as well as mozerella and parmesan. I bake the pizza directly on the rack. Miss Mary's makes a thin crust as well as the regular, but watch it as it burns easily (just made that mistake while working on this post). I like it with artichoke hearts, but that adds one more messy step. If you have teenagers, plan for one pizza per kid, and if you have leftovers, of course we all know how great leftover pizza is!

Let me know if you have any other good recipes, especially for teenage boys! Back to low-carb world...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sun dried tomatoe brushetta at Costco is fabulous. When I am not spooning it out of the jar and into my mouth, i put it on home-made pizzas. And here is another tip. The refrigerated pesto at Costco is much better than the stuff at Sams or the grocery. And lastly, a great pizza is one with pesto smeared on the crust, fresh basil leaves, more crushed garlic, provolone covering the top and chunks of already cooked chicken that are tossed in fresh ground pepper and thyme. + More cheese.