Saturday, January 5, 2008

Seven!

That's how many cans I opened for dinner tonight. I think this is a subconcious reaction to reading the Sweet Potato Queens' cookbook. Here's the breakdown: creamed corn, rotel tomatoes x 2, whole kernal corn, black beans x 2, and chopped green chiles. Can you guess what I made? Mexican cornbread, black beans and mexican rice. I love rotel tomatoes. There are a million cornbread recipes on the internet with every combination of cornmeal (yellow, white, self-rising cornmeal), flour, buttermilk, etc. I adapted Paula Deen's recipe to what I had on hand. I have to say it was successful. I should be doing low-carb, but as you can tell, I'm majorly into carbs - the thrill of the forbidden. Maybe tomorrow.

I've been reading about Brazil - I'm going there in April. Did I mention that it only took 20 days to get my passport - non-expedited? I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, reading about Brazil put me in the mood for the black beans and rice. I ate lots of them when we visited Puerto Rico some years ago. It's like gumbo in New Orleans, different everywhere you get it, but always delicious. Unfortunately, the Brazilian version of black beans and rice, feijoada, contains copious quantities of scrap meat - things like pig snout and ears and tail and hoof. I might become vegetarian while I'm there. Since cattle ranching is a big industry there, I might not be too popular, or even worse, will go hungry! That might be my ticket to losing weight!

Let me know if you can beat my seven can record.

2 comments:

eatcake said...

Carol, you are a very entertaining writer- I like your idea of one word... mine just might be "contentment" if I even spelled it correctly. This year my "resolution" or whatever is to keep a gratitude journal in order to think of the things that make me grateful everyday- not what keeps me pissed off. Good luck to me when baseball starts. ok i'm off to eat more homemade white bread before I start the "fat flush" monday. kim

Carol said...

@ eatcake,
Kim, you send me cake pictures and then tell me you're starting a "fat flush". Maybe I should try it, too. I need an accountability partner. Thanks for sharing your one little word. "Contentment" is a great one. Yes, let's remind ourselves of this when baseball starts - that'll be the real test! Mine ("love") may be downright impossible then!