Thursday, January 3, 2008

Free Groceries!

Yes, it's too good to be true! I found free groceries in my own kitchen. I regularly throw away so much food and have decided to try to use some of what I have. Tonight I peeled five pounds of potatoes I've had for at least two weeks. I peeled lots off, but still got a big batch of mashed potatoes. One was rotten, but luckily had not started to stink yet. I can't think of anything that smells worse than a rotten potato. I have a 1 horsepower garbage disposal so it handles things like whole rotten potatoes and thick peels. I also made ceasar salad and used some garlic bread I had in the fridge for croutons. Just cubed it and toasted it - perfect! Now I have a mess to clean up!

I've been thinking of the old idea of cooking one weekend for a month, but with a twist. I thought it would be fun to have a group of friends get together and figure out a way to cook and assemble food for the freezer. I might order one of those books - it would probably have the math already done as far quantities go, and I'll bet a shopping list, too. I have lots of friends with great big kitchens so will volunteer one of them to have us over. I've heard Hope Pres does this. It would be perfect in a church kitchen. I'll have to see what I can find out. Of course, with this being Memphis, there's always the risk of losing your freezer full of food due to a power outage. Unfortunately we were out of town the first few days after Hurricane Elvis when everyone was having their "Empty the Freezer" grilling parties!

Let me know if you have any ideas you'd like to share about any of this - I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the group cooking idea, but I'd be sure to invite an Indian friend (both Eastern and Western types), an Italian friend, vegetarian friend (of course she won;t do it cause she isnt gonna want what you other guys cook), Japanese friend, Thai friend, and so on....then you could have a pretty good chance of having meals to look forward to all month. Do you know RR (Rachael Ray ?, if so be sure to include her perky little self)
Seriously, I love to have good stuff in the freezer. I love spell check to BTW...

Carol said...

@anon,
Great idea! I'm just not sure I have that many friends of other ethnic backgrounds. As I think of it though, I have a good friend who's Filipino (just checked dictionary.com and realized that my original spelling - Philipino - was incorrect). She's a wonderful cook. I don't know any vegeterian people well, but if I did, she could handle the veggie dishes - we'd just have to make some stuff she'd be interested in. Maybe desserts and sides. I think Rachel's already booked! Hmmm, I'm thinking I need a little more diversity in my friendships!