Saturday, January 12, 2008

Signs of Spring


No, these didn't come from my yard. They were $4.50 per pot at Kroger. I bought two to take to friends today. I did find daffodil shoots in my flower beds yesterday. I'm always excited to see the first daffodils. In Memphis, you never know when to expect them. I've seen them as early as January and as late as March.

My good friends Luanne and Mary Jane (sisters) have a sweet story about daffodils. They lost their mother a few years ago. Their mom loved daffodils. When her first birthday since her death rolled around in March, Mary Jane and Luanne were so touched and surprised when they walked outside that morning and saw the first daffodils of spring. That year was probably the latest I remember the daffodils arriving - it had to be more than a coincidence. God is good.

It's time to cut back the monkey grass, and I need to pull up the forlorn remains of geraniums from my flower boxes on the front porch. The asparagus ferns and ivy I planted there seem to have survived the cold just fine. My gardenia has survived, but I have my fingers crossed that my maidenhair fern will come back. I think it's normal for them to come back from the base. I have tried and tried to grow gardenias (my favorite flower), without success. I think I should plant the next one next to the house. The ones I've noticed that get so big and beautiful seem to all be next to houses - I'm sure it helps shelter them from the wind. I need to fertilize mine - it's looking very yellow. Let me know if you have any gardenia tips.

Today is the day for changing sheets and laundry (isn't every day laundry day?). I used to change them every Saturday but lately I've been letting them go to every other week. A friend was the mom of a college student who came home for Christmas break, and the mom realized that the kid had gone the whole semester without washing the sheets! This was a girl, too! I think I should start working on an instruction manual for Evans to take to college now. Except I guess the whole point of going away to college (besides getting an education) is to figure out this stuff on your own. I can't believe we'll have an empty nest in less than three years!

In the mean time, the nest needs clean sheets, so I'm off to that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tulips!I was one of the lucky recipients>

Love your blog - keep up the good work. Can't wait for the website!

Angela

Anonymous said...

I know a girl from New Jersey who went to Delta State in Cleveland, MS because she read up and found that they did your laundry for free. She met and married a pilot while there ...it is a school w/ a flight training program so some people are there for reasons other than it is in the neighborhood. I know MS pretty well and I dont even know where Cleveland is...must be little. But the kids there dress clean.