Wednesday, January 2, 2008

One Little Word - continued

Hi All,

I've found my word for 2008. It's "love". It came to me Sunday in church. I thought of 1 Corinthians chapter 13 - also known as the love chapter in the New Testament. Specifically verse 13 which says "And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 John 4:18 says "...perfect love casts out fear..." I considered making "fearless" my one little word because I have struggled with fear in the past. Then I realized that it is better to focus on love, a positive thing, and the fear would go away on its own.

I found this quote that describes how I'd like to approach this: True love is not a feeling by which we are overwhelmed. It is a committed, thoughtful decision. --M. Scott Peck

I'll be writing more about this as the year progresses. Let me know if you decide to try this - I'd love to hear your one little word!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to see M. Scott Peck speak at Christ Methodist Church years ago when he toured to support the popularity of his books. I read most all of them I do believe. Lots of people didnt 'get' one of them, Different Drummer' but I did. Only because I once, maybe twice at most , experienced what he wrote about. I found most people I know had never had the experience. But the other books had mass appeal.
I just passed an old copy of Road Less Traveled to a friend who took it w/ him to read over his out of town Xmas time. He has already commented on profound stuff in Chapter One. I think I read it like 3 times when it first came out.

And one section Scott Peck talked about has always stuck w/ me, the part about studying the mental health of the Japanese for the U.S. gov't and lack of aggression in Japanese school children.

It was determined that tall ceilings play a role.

I think Cuba 'takes the cake' for tall ceilings, wonder about the mental health of their population and kids...but then...they have had some extraordinary additional circumstances to deal w/ in recent past.

Lundy

Carol said...

@Lundy,

You lost me on the tall ceilings! I'll have to look for "Different Drummer" at the library. I'm so hooked on the library! It's giving me lots of ideas for this blog and our site. Thanks for your comments!