Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pepperoni Chips + Camera Tips



Pepperoni Chips were my own personal happy accident. One day, while heating pepperoni in the microwave, I let it go too long and voila, I wound up with wonderfully delicious crispy (as in potato chips) little slices of salty-heaven. I thought, how is it I've never had/heard of these before? I did a Google search for Pepperoni Chips, and of course, they are not new (is anything ever really new?) There were all kinds of methods (of course only one ingredient, so not much variation there) including baking in the oven, and my favorite, the microwave.

Here's how I do it. I lay the pepperonis in a circle on a paper towel on a plate (for even cooking) and cover them with another paper towel. Then I put them in the microwave on high until the sizzling stops (about a minute for my microwave). I let them cool a very short time (if I can restrain myself) and they become wonderfully crispy.
Other than how great they are, here's why I love them: They are easy, delicious, NO-carb, great as a snack and wonderful crumbled on a salad. It's like really crispy bacon without the strip of fat, and of course with great spiciness. I tried them at Suzanne's yesterday, and she liked them, too, I'm pleased to say.
For any of you health nuts out there, a few pepperonis aren't a bad thing, calorie-wise, and lots of the fat comes out into the paper towels (see middle photo above), so they're even better for you than the Nutrition Facts box on the label says! As for the no-carb aspect, I'm trying to really avoid all my favorite carb-laden things. The next thing I'm going to try is the Pioneer Woman's Bacon-Wrapped Jalepeno Thingies (bacon, cream cheese and jalepenos - no carbs there). Find the recipe here:
http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j.html/
On to photo-tips. I had a time photographing the pepperoni close-up, so had to poke around on my camera and found a macro-closeup choice - it did the trick.

No comments: