Monday, February 4, 2008

Drat the Cat! - part II

Subtitle - Sleepus Interruptus

I had a rude awakening early this morning (before 6:00!) by the sound of the bedroom closet doors bumping together, plus loud meows. I was in the middle of major REM sleep. Turns out Lisa, the offending cat, got into Mack's closet when he while he was getting his clothes out. She's very nimble to be so obese (the vet's word). Of course, she changed her mind about being in the closet and began her very loud closet-break attempt. I beckoned Mack from the kitchen and asked him to sit on the bed and just listen. I think he wondered about my sanity in the minute or so it took her to resume the meowing and bumping. He apologized and let her out and I was able to go back to sleep. Regardless, I have a headache and a very late start to my day.

On a side note, regarding feline obesity, here's what happened on our last visit to the vet. He told me that she needed her food restricted or she would be at risk for diabetes and in this event, I'd be forced to give her injections. Right. Has anyone out there had to give a cat injections? I've been extremely unsuccessful in the past in giving her pills and brushing her teeth. I tried the tooth brushing after being told by said vet that she would develop heart disease from the plaque on her teeth. Didn't work. Do good pet owners brush their pets' teeth? Since I'm going public with my pet owner (Mistress?) failings, I run the risk that the ASPCA will come and take our cats away for not brushing their teeth and putting them on a diet. Seriously, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Feel free to report me. I should add their link here to make it a little easier for you.

As for the shots, I'm afraid if the insulin injection issue comes up, there will only be one shot involved and that will be the goodnight shot the vet administers. I'll hold her and sing a lullaby and we will miss her, but she's had a nice, long, comfy life. I have a feeling that if it were a dog, I'd feel differently, but then dogs are so compliant.

Better get busy now - I've got to hurry and get busy to make up for my late start this morning...

No comments: