Saturday, February 9, 2008

MomsLeap Logo

Here's our working verson of our logo - a real collaboration between Lundy and me. We hope it represents our idea of moms (or just people for that matter) leaping over everyday obstacles, every day. We haven't even talked about whether or not to give her a name, so if you have any ideas, be sure to let me know. For now, she will be MemphisMom - the name of our soon-to-come website. My first draft had the lady leaping in the other direction and Lundy explained to me that it is more pleasing visually to Americans to leap in the other direction. She knows so much.

I'm doing my Saturday morning waffle making. Like everything, practice makes perfect, so here are my tips: Use half buttermilk and half regular milk in the mix (I just use Bisquick Heart Smart - no trans fat). Make the batter runny enough so it will spread over the whole griddle. I add frozen berries and that seems to make the batter thicker, so I usually have to add a little extra milk. Don't let them burn - it doesn't take long. Since I'm using a 20+ year old wedding-gift waffle maker, it might take more watching. Spray Pam on before each waffle, and butter them after (so much for Heart Smart). Let them cool on a rack if you don't want them to get soggy in the several hours that elapse before sleepy, hungry teenage boy appears. He likes them just fine soggy, though.

See the pale, sick looking waffle in the middle of the stack? That's the first one. I heard someone in a movie say, upon his girlfriend breaking up with him because he was her first boyfriend and she wanted more dating experience, "So I'm the first pancake!" I liked that line!

Just researched waffle irons (on Amazon - my favorite source for buying ANYTHING!) and found that all the new ones have some kind of ready indicator, so there you go - not to worry about burning the waffles.

Interestingly, you can get a new-fangled waffle iron for anywhere from $20 to $109. The deluxe ($109 model) is actually a Petite Flower Gravity WM (don't they all use gravity?) which makes 3" waffles in the shape of a daisy, rose or sunflower. Can't imagine making twice or three times as many tiny little waffles, but this would probably be fun if you have little kids. This one has not just an indicator light to tell you when the iron is hot, but a little chime plays when the waffles are done. Surprisingly, you can get several models of Cuisinart starting at $30.

Isn't technology great! Hey, don't I say that a lot? I need to add a side bar with TLAs (three letter acronyms) to the side of this blog so I can just say things like "ITG?"

If you haven't moved your computer to the kitchen, I highly recommend it. Since I got my laptop, I stay perched here in between switching out waffles, and generally not letting stuff burn in the oven or on the stove because I can't hear the timer/smell the smoke. I'm becoming more of a multi-tasker - but then, most of you are already light years ahead of me.

I hope your weekend's off to a good start!

No comments: