Sunday, February 17, 2008

Flowers and Weeds


The same day I noticed the daffodils blooming, I also saw the dandelions. Did you know "dandelion" comes from the French for "lion's tooth" since that is the shape of their leaves? Did you also know that a weed is any plant you don't want? I'm sure there are some life lessons here - the good with the bad, the yin and the yang, weeding out the stuff we don't want in our lives - you get the idea. I always think about spiritual lessons in the garden.

Speaking of gardening, I can't wait to get outside and dig in the dirt this time of year. It's too early to plant annuals, since we always get a frost. I think the day the experts say is April 15th. When I used to do accounting work, it wasn't difficult to resist since I was working dawn to dusk. For now, I could cut back the monkey grass, mulch the flower beds (right on top of the leaves I never raked, and maybe plant a few pansies or just pull up the summer stuff I never got around to.

For today, I'm headed off to my "niece" Christine's birthday party at The Incredible Pizza Company. She's my BFF Angela's daughter and we tease about time-sharing our boy and their girl. Better run - party starts soon!

No comments: