Tuesday, February 26, 2008

One More Time



Ok, this time, three minutes later. Maybe we'll call this Carol's Rule of Three. Try three times before giving up. If you give up, try again three minutes later. I like it.

Now, to the point of the post, and to tell about the successfully uploaded pictures. I used two packets out of my Homemade Gourmet box today. First was coleslaw mix. It calls for 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of vinegar in additon to the mix and 2 pounds of shredded cabbage. I find it interesting that they call for pounds versus heads or cups - a reflection on the trend of buying that kind of thing in a bag (measured by weight).

Here goes. It was very easy to mix up (especially with pre-shredded cabbage), and when I tasted it just after mixing, it was way too sugary. The directions said to let it sit for an hour or two. I did this, tasted again, and it was still very sweet. Nothing some extra vinegar won't cure. Even with the mayo, it could use a little creaminess, I think. Cole slaw is a very personal thing, and I usually have mine on top of a Corky's barbeque sandwich, so who knows. It may be a Texas thing since the company is based in Texas, as evidenced by the names of their products - "Texas Cornbread" and "Texas Cobbler." Even though I made both of these today, the cole slaw doesn't go with the chicken. Not for me. On to the chicken, here goes...

The chicken is phenomenal - hungry, but picky, teenage boy gave his thumbs up (better than a Michelin star). It's definitely more complicated than the cole slaw. I used the garlic lemon seasoning mix. Here's what I did, but I'm not sure I could duplicate it. I tend to complicate things. I'll just tell you what I did - then you're on your own. Before I start, do you ever just pull out the stuff you have and try to find a recipe that will use what you have (I'm not a good planner-aheader-grocery-shopper)? Food Network is a good site to visit - you can enter key-words, but it seems there's always one ingredient I don't have, so I just venture out on my own. In my mind, that's where the great cooks begin. Here's my path to greatness...

I sliced up one huge chicken breast. In a non-stick skillet, I melted butter till sizzling, then added raw chicken slices (note to self - bleach the countertops). I sliced 4 big green onions (my neighbors brought them the other day) and tossed them in. I threw 2 tablespoons of the Homemade Gourmet garlic lemon seasoning in. I cooked all this on medium-high until the chicken started to brown. At some point, I decided to add a couple of teaspoons of minced garlic in the jar - it browns quickly. I took the chicken out. To the pan I added 1/2 cup white wine (Sauvignon Blanc), juice of one lemon, more butter and a couple of spoonfuls of capers. A little more butter, then I turned off the burner.

I served the chicken with a little sauce over the top of the chicken and seasoned rice(same garlic lemon seasoning. It really is good. I'm going to eat now...

No comments: