Thursday, February 21, 2008

Go Tigers Go!

I'm not much of a sports fan (except for son's high school baseball and the World Series), but who can live in Memhis and not be excited about Saturday's game? I halfway watched the game against UAB last weekend where we pulled out a win at the last (literally) second. It made me nervous, but I read one of my million magazines and watched the game with one eye. Memphis and Tennessee were ranked number 1 and 2, respectively, going into last night's game. They both won, so we have the perfect storm. It's bigger than the SuperBowl. Seriously. For those of us in Memphis, anyway.

I used to love college basketball back in the day, when I was a "Memphis State" student. I was there when we went to the Final Four - in the Keith Lee days. On the rare occasions when I watch, it really gets my heart pounding. I like basketball because it's pretty easy to understand. I've tried and tried and have given up on football. I probably know as much as I do about baseball (not that much in the scheme of things) from years of keeping the scorebook for kiddo's team. I really do love that. People who know me give me a strange look when I start up about how much fun it is to keep score in baseball. It really keeps you in the game.

Well, I'm getting off track. Back to basketball. If you've heard rumors of tickets going for $10,000, here's the truth. I just checked eBay, and 2 tickets went for $500, 4 for $710 - those were the only two completed auctions. Someone's offering two for $7,500 and that auction's set to expire tonight. It looks like the market's not there. Of course, one thing I've learned through my experience in the business world - asking and getting aren't the same thing! It's still early, though, and this is just eBay, but I think it's a pretty good indicator of the market value. I'll be watching from the comfort of my den, although if anyone knows of any parties with a huge TV and fun people involved, let me know - I might just crash the party! I have a feeling lots of parties will be popping up this week.

I hope to write a jubilant post on Sunday morning after the big game. If not, I'll probably post another picture of waffles and make no mention of the game. For all the U of M fans out there, let's show our support, wear blue and enjoy the ride!

No comments: